Jamshedpur: Fire at clothing showroom in Sakchi, no casualties

Mail news service

Jamshedpur, April 6: A fire broke out at the Sakchi market on Wednesday afternoon. Goods worth hundreds of thousands of dollars were destroyed in the fire, sources said.

Sources said the fire started on the top floor of the Fashion World store. Local traders attempted to extinguish the flames. Firefighters were dispatched to the scene. After an hour, the fire was finally brought under control.

Sources said the fire could spread to hundreds of stores and lead to a major disaster as all stores are close together.

Store owner Kuldeep Singh said an electrical short could be the cause of the fire.

Household appliances burned by short circuit

Seraikela, April 6: Home appliances worth more than one lakh were damaged due to a sudden short circuit in several households in Seraikela irrigation settlement in the early hours of Wednesday.

Sources said the incident happened after a 440-volt overhead cable came into direct contact with the house power cable due to the shaking of branches from a tree. As a result, a current of 440 volts began to flow through household circuits. Fans, coolers, refrigerators, mobile phone chargers and other household appliances burned in the locality.

Chhaya Singh, a local resident, said, “Two fans in my house were burned. The incident happened due to the negligence of the electricity service. If they had removed the overhanging branches of the tree in time, this accident would not have happened.

Michael O. Stutler